Saturday, June 9, 2012

Why I WANT to be a Mormon

As I get older and associate with a bigger variety of people I get a lot more questions about why I am the way I am. Mostly about things that I do because of my religion. I've gotten a lot of questions from my coworkers especially, who've started to notice that I do things a little differently and don't understand why I would chose a lifestyle like this. So I've had to do some thinking to figure out the answers for myself. Some of the things I do are things I wouldn't chose to do on my own if they didn't come with the religion, some of the things just make sense to me. For example. Why don't I drink or get tattoos? Sure it's 'against my religion' but it also makes sense to me. Alcohol and drugs have never been appealing to me- they smell bad for one, and I personally would never want to lose control of myself or my actions. And tattoos- I'm just not one for pain. Those are personal reasons for me. Why do I not swear? This one is on more of a level of obedience. Everything else that my prophets and church leaders have told me so far has worked out to make me happy, so I think it's a pretty good idea to listen to what they say even when I don't know EXACTLY why. And then there's the third level of why I follow the church. I told my friend about how I go out to breakfast with some ladies from my church and he found it funny that although I'm 18 I still choose to go to church at all. He just didn't understand why I would WANT to do that. This is a level I call peace. There are things like church, scriptures, listening to good music, prayer, and the temple. All I know is that when I don't have these things in my life, I'm not as happy. They give me peace. That's all there is to it. 
So my reasons for why I am a "Mormon" or a Latter Day Saint of Jesus Christ are based on 4 things. I know there is a God- I mean...who could EVER doubt that!!! Just look around you! Just look at all the blessings you have and how many times he has helped you out! The standards in the gospel make perfect sense to me for a good lifestyle- a healthy one that will make you happy. The leaders of my church are some pretty smart guys- they know what they're talking about, and if you listen, you will be happy. And everything about it brings peace and clarity into life. I know that sometimes it may not make sense- and all that stuff that I don't do because I'm Mormon (drinking, sex before marriage, drugs, tattoos...etc.), I know it looks fun to a lot of people. But I also know that in the long run, I'm going to be pretty dang happy I stuck to the standards I've been taught. Seriously- being this happy is some good stuff. 
Want to know more? Learn for yourself- it's a pretty open religion. Here are some website that tell a little about us, and show what we believe in!

No comments:

Post a Comment