Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Careful the things you say, Children will listen

One of my main concerns in life is the example I set for those around me. The ones I most think about are my two little sisters, who really aren't so little after all. Quin is 16 and Sabrina is 13 and both frequently remind me that they are taller than me. But I want to be something they look up to and trust and learn from. I also would love if I lived in a way that they maybe wanted to be a little bit like me. I know that both of those ages are tough stages in life. When I was 16 all I thought about was 'Why am I not dating as much as my friends' and 'I can't wait to move out.' And being in middle school, that's just plain tough- trying to be like everyone else because you don't quite know who you are yet, and even if you did, you'd be insecure about it. Am I right? So I just want to be an example of someone who enjoys life, despite all the crap that happens in it. I want to be real- for sure, show them that breaking down every once and a while is okay. But generally happy. 
This Saturday we went downtown for a concert of my dads and drove two separate cars back. Adults in one and me and them in the other. Needless to say, driving back I got a little lost. We ended up driving by this park that looked pretty cool. Quin said "Wow, we should go to that park someday." So I immediately pulled over and got out of the car. What's life if you don't stop at a few unexpected parks along the way? They were so excited. We sat for a while and watched a play in the park, they were doing A Mid Summer Night's Dream  I think. And then we ran around the hills and over a bridge to this little island where some couples were ballroom dancing in a gazebo, and the lights were shimmering on the water. It was a beautiful night. I'm glad we stopped. I hope they learn that it's okay to not always get places super fast. You don't have to take the freeway and do things exactly as everyone else does. You can make that into some kind of metaphor if you want, but I mean it quite literally. I always find the coolest places and have the most beautiful moments when I drive somewhere unexpected and take time to get out of the car.

These are from downtown at the concert. We all have such different styles. I love it. Plus- can't you just tell how fun they are? Love my family.





No comments:

Post a Comment