Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book Review: Brave New World

This is like the first book I've had time to get through all Summer. And to be honest it wasn't my favorite. I'd much rather recommend George Orwell's 1984 (seriously deserving of the title of a classic!) to people because it has the same concept but is much more well written in my opinion.

Brave New World is 'futuristic what could go wrong if technology and communism go crazy' type of deal. The 'Controllers' condition people to behave like infants and indulge in their pleasures constantly  and live in a state of stupidity so they don't know any better and will always be happy. Also because of the super controlling technology everyone never gets ugly or sick, they hardly have to work and do not understand almost anything. Tons of "everything is everyone's" and caste system and 'if we think for them they'll never know any better  extreme communist type stuff. That's just a little background on what it's like anyways. And generally it wasn't my favorite, but there was like, all of one paragraph that made me think, okay, this is a good message and that is the point this book is trying to get across. So good job Aldous Huxley on that one paragraph, but really the book would have been a better success as a short story. Here's the paragraph for you because it really does have a cool message.
When they are talking about why happiness is forced on the people of their modern civilization (and PS the 'savage' is a man who has been living outside of their civilization but moved to it):
"But I like the inconveniences" [savage]
"We don't," said the Controller. "We prefer to do things comfortably."
"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
"Not to ention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen tomorrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind."
"I claim them all," said the Savage at last.


Anyways. I hope that made sense to some of you. Basically I think that's cool because really- it's the hardships and the thinking that make us who we are- that make life so great! If you don't have pain you never really learn to appreciate comfort...that kind of thing.

Anyways, that's was my long ramble about that book, hope you weren't totally bored. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment