Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday thoughts

A little while ago my dad posed a question to me of why I go to church. My personal answer to this is that actually a lot of the time I have a hard time sitting through 3 hours of church each week. But every once and a while something is said that REALLY was said for me! Something that I needed to hear to improve myself or to be at peace or understand fully why certain things are happening. Well folks- today was one of those days. This girl who just moved into my ward from New York -where she was singing in the metropolitan opera- was part of a program of singing and talks between her and her sister. Let me tell you. It was amazing. Especially the music- so loud and powerful I can't even explain it. But the talk this girl gave- holy cow! Let me just tell you about it in my own words. And maybe you won't understand it exactly like I did, but I just need to record my thoughts.The reason Christ atoned for us is because he wanted to know exactly how we feel, everything we go through so that he will better be able to comfort us. But not only did he die for us, he also lived for us in order to show us the opportunities we have to make amends with ourselves and our mistakes. He is the perfect example of a life that will lead to happiness. She also said that for any question in life if the why is strong enough the how and what don't matter. So why did Christ do this for us? FOR US! Because he loves us so much! He was so perfect that he really could have gone up to heaven at any point- he was PERFECT people! But he didn't. He stayed at went through all that because for him, heaven wouldn't be heaven if we weren't there! Isn't that the coolest thing you've ever heard? 
She also talked about truth. How do we know what truth is? Truth is anything that brings us peace, love, and joy. If it's not giving you these three things, you can just get rid of it! 
The church is true. It gives us peace love and joy. So what else matters? 

My Child by David Bowman
Thank you Ginger Jackson for your testimony today in church. I was truly inspired. Just the way she spoke- she was so excited to share what she had to say. She was smiling and excited. Seriously excited to share the gospel. And the way she talked about heaven "Stars and mansions and fireworks and color!" It makes me excited and so grateful for what I have in this life. :)
So here's to being excited about the truth! Because it really is SO great!
Happy Sunday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment