Tuesday, July 3, 2012

soapbox about style and fashion and clothes in general

There are a lot of people who think fashion is over rated, and a lot who are a little bit-way too much obsessed with it. My personal opinion is this. The way you dress should make you feel confident in yourself- and that's all there is to it. However you have to do it. I know I'm always a little more confident when I feel pretty. If you think that's shallow so be it. But sometimes I curl my hair and wear heels and a skirt just to feel a bit braver and adventurous and like I'm really something great. And mostly I'm talking about style- finding your own (not the changing of the wardrobe every couple months because the celebrities do = fashion). Finding your own personal style is more important than following trends. (but wait, there's more after these- some pictures of some favorite things about my personal style)
Hello too expensive anthropology outfit- but I can dream right? But I love this- bright colors, skinny jeans, and kind of flowy (is that a word?) shirts.

Skinny jeans. I don't know what I'd do without them. I don't know how to explain it, but it just fits something in my personality.

Because curling my hair seriously may just make me feel more outgoing.

And a terrible self taken photo to put out there one more time how worth it a maxi skirt is.

That's just the thing. Dress however you want! It's fun, it's an art for some people, it's a creative process, and it shows who you are. I read once on a blog that our own personal fashion statement is a combination of people we admire, the person we are, and the person we want to be. And we show it through clothes.


And then there is this thing about fashion. You attract what you dress like. And this goes both ways.
Girls dressing immodestly gets a lot of a attention with this point. The more skin you show, the more you are going to attract guys who are only interested in what's on the outside. It's totally true.
But also it goes the opposite way. If you wear sweats and baggy shirts constantly and never get ready when you go out- you have no right to get mad at the boys for not tripping over the way you look. If you chose not to care about it at all- that's your choice. But understand that it is going to bring you different guys than dressing up would, and they may treat you differently. 
You will be treated how you dress. 
Dress classy and you'll probably attract some classy gentlemen, stay in your exercise clothes and you'll talk to a lot of jocks, dress like a hippy and you'll have some friends who are trying to start their own band. You get my point right? It's simple really. 
But that's what I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment