Friday, September 7, 2012

Travel: Raleigh, North Carolina

Once upon a time I was in high school and I was obsessed with teen romance novelist Sarah Dessen's books. Well they are all set in North Carolina. Ever since I spent many many hours reading every one of her books I set my heart on going there. I wanted so badly to travel to the beach and eat at a waffle house just like the characters in the books that I grew to love. Thanks to my brother and his wife who just moved there for grad school at NC State University I finally was able to. I also went to their art museum- who knew? But it's one of the best one's I've ever been to. Mostly because of my newfound appreciation of modern and contemporary art, and my other love for art history. More on that later. But for now...Wrightsville beach, hanging with the baby and her parents, waffle houses (ps, they are like Ihop, but cheap, and open 24 hours, and they have reeeeeeeally nice people working there with the greatest accents), and other bits and thoughts I found along the way.

Also...zoie knits now.

Okay. Pay attention. Because you will see. There are trees EVERYWHERE!!!



Went out to catch fireflies. Caught a frog instead.


Everyone has huge lawns. And where there are not houses, there is forest.

Flowers at this beach restaurant called The Mushroom (I'm sure very sober people hang out there).





So many seashells. Take all the orange ones!


My sister's gorgeous red ombre hair.


And then this crazy ivy stuff that grows all over and takes over the trees.


 There are decorated cows everywhere. Artsy.
And this is how we lugged the little child around at the art museum. Closeup. is. hilarious.



So this is a very ugly picture. I know. But a lot of times I would look at the forest and think to myself. What on earth would posses those early colonists to look at this forest and think it was a good idea to try and live in it. Or March through it during a war. It's ridiculous. 

This is the muggy-muggy hot face.






Okay. Last thing. Pretty much the only good part is the first 15 seconds. But. I'm too lazy to edit-shorten it. So. Baby gets scared by the noise on her play chair. But then by the end she gets used to it. Poor child.


3 comments:

  1. We loved the video! We are glad you and Zoie came to visit. We had so much fun with you guys. Remember when Lorin scared you (and me--even though I knew he was going to scare you)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in college again? Hope you have good roomates. I read your blog about college and north Carolina and food.
    -Lorin

    ReplyDelete