Saturday, September 8, 2012

Travel: Boston

And in between the Chicago-ing and the Raleigh-ing we got stuck in Boston for a day and a night. Such is a perk of flying standby because your mom works for the airlines. Seriously though, I'm glad it happened. Because Boston. It's got this big place in my heart.
First off. I've never been inside it (I will one day) but they have this fantastic aquarium right on the harbor. I like watching the seals through the glass because that bit's free. 

Two staples for the boston people...Sweaters not worn as sweaters. And Dunkin Donuts. They are obsessed. There are more dunkin donuts there than there are LDS churches in Utah. I'm sure of it. It's like 3 to every street corner.



Just walking the streets is my absolute favorite thing though.


 Even the 7-elevens are fancy.
The first church. It never got it's steeple- thanks to the king.


MMMM. fruit stands.
Where the Declaration of Independence was first read. Also the sight of the Boston Massacre.


Next time I'm so getting one of these tour guides to tell me all the historic facts of the city. They tell the story like they were actually there. I loved listening in on them. That or go on a duck tour. I've heard they are fantastic. And another travel tip that I will one day try- the Quincy Market. Which apparently has the best food ever.


Okay. This is the thing you have to see if you go. The New England Holocaust Memorial. I'm not going to say anything about it except it will give you the chills.






 Fancyness. The Marriot there is like a mini house. We were pretty excited about it anyways.

 And the houses of Boston- so beautiful- on the way to Bunker Hill. Wow. I could live in one of those.




 Bunker Hill monument- they totally stole the idea from DC. But don't worry, we walked all the way up those 294 stairs to see that view.







And then if you get off on the Wonderland subway stop there is this fantastic beach. But the water is cold. And if you start walking on the wrong side of the train tracks you can get to it through this cornfield where hobos live. But if you get off on the other side it's easy to find.








 One of the many too-early morning days at the airport. 6 flights. All of them at like 6 in the morning. But this one had a pretty sunrise.

And two more tips from my previous trip to boston earlier this summer with my other sister.
The Fine Arts Museum is incredible and there's a cute little pizza shop just down the street, and a park behind it. And you can walk to Harvard if you have some time- it's beautiful.
And if you get a certain kind of pass on the subway it includes a ferry ride to the USS Constitution. Which is really cool. But I personally thought the museum for it wasn't too captivating. And if you have time you should get a tour guide for it- that way you can go to the bottom level of the ship. 

Anyways. I think Boston is cool stuff. I would have put pictures from my previous trip, but then I figured this post is overloaded enough...another time maybe when I have nothing to talk about.



No comments:

Post a Comment