Sunday, November 18, 2012

Parent-Birthday week

Once upon a time I started taking a family foundations class in which much advice is given on how you should have a fantastic family and get married to a fantastic person and have fantastic children which you raise in the best way possible. All this learning has actually just made me realize that I've had a wonderful example right in front of me my entire life. They seriously did a good job/are still doing a great job.
So pretty soon I finally get to hang out with them for more than a few hours and it's in the time between their two birthdays. This also happens to be the time of the greatest holiday ever- Thanksgiving. Anyways...Shout out to both of them...here is a list of (a few of) their combined qualities that I admire as parents and as people. 

I don't think I've ever head either of them yell at each other or any of their kids...or anyone. 
Passion for traveling and learning everything you can about the world.
Saturday chores when I was little- a combination of doing all the yardwork and practically spring cleaning the entire house. Every. Week. The reason...six kids.
The way they wake us up in the morning: mom=coming in and dancing the Ketchup Dance dad=consistent annoying bell ringing or blasting music
Lots of memories of eating dinner together...some of those dinners not so good. Like the yams that got spit all over dad's t-shirt when zoie told him she didn't want them, and mom thinking ox tail soup was a good idea. But mostly good food. 
The value of music. So many family home evenings when all we did was sit around the piano and sing hymns until we couldn't anymore. And then of course there's the 'you must pick an instrument and play it until you're 16' which only ever resulted in good things.
Watching movies as a  family when everyone would eventually falls asleep except me and dad. But mom's not asleep...she's just 'reading her book'...with her eyes closed.
The way they raised their kids and let them develop into whoever they wanted to be (with guidance to be a good one) and to not chose everything for us.


To name a few. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this, mostly because it is followed by a description of you, and what you have become.

    Looks like we won the Lottery once again!!!

    ReplyDelete