Sunday, August 19, 2012

Modern day hipster rant

Maybe I'm wrong and I just have always had the wrong idea about hipsters, but I've had this rant running through my brain for quite some time now so I'm just going to ramble my thoughts about hipsters- modern day ones and the original ones. Because it's the original ones that I LOVE love love.
First off. Being hipster is like playing the game. You know, the one where if you think about it you loose. So like, if you're trying to be hipster, you're not. Urban dictionaries definition of hipster. I just think it's funny when they say "Definitions are too mainstream.
Hipster's can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and thus be too mainstream."
Correct me if I'm wrong (but actually probably don't really correct me because I want to keep thinking this) but the very essence of hipster was created by some uncool kids just trying to do their own thing. You know the type that started it all. Played in some garage band and at little college cafes, wore skinny jeans and old clothes which really no one should have taken out of the DI. And they may have been vegetarians and walked or biked everywhere, and shopped at the farmers market, and tried to be local and environmentally friendly and all that. They are artsy and deep and independent. And they seriously were just trying to find their own thing. And then one day people decided that they were cool. And so this whole style was created around the vintage look and forever 21 picked it up and everyone started wearing 70s clothes and nerd glasses and high waisted shorts and chuck taylors and called themselves hipsters. Which was an insult to the originals- which is probably why the true ones will never admit that they really are hipsters. The very essence of being hipster is being something that no one else thinks is cool- and they get made fun of a lot but it really is quite avant-gaurde of them. And anyways, the whole style was just started to try and save money for them- shopping at used clothing stores as they struggle to get gigs for their bands.
Anyways...long story short. Being "hipster" is too modern now. The real ones don't want to be associated with the word because it's too mainstream ;) but it's those original ones who have my heart. And they do still exist. So when I say I love hipsters and when I say I wish I was one and I try to be one...it's the original ones I'm talking about. It's like loving the true meaning of Christmas...but the true meaning of hipsters? Hipsterism is a state of mind, not a trend people.
This is getting to long. Thanks for tuning in.
Also. You just lost the game.

1 comment: